The held container of Ecstatic Dance Chicago is able to facilitate deep dives into authentic and inspired expression. The required guidelines are the foundation to that container. They develop and nurture the awareness of personal expression, awareness of fellow dancers, and the awareness of the felt presence of the collective.
✶ In Person Outdoor with Silent Disco Space Guidelines:
– Mouth and Nose must be covered at all times.
– Please do not come if you are experiencing any symptoms of illness on the day of, or up to two weeks before the dance (tickets can be transferred for this).
– We will be sharing a large open park space with nonparticipating parkgoers. – Please keep a safe distance of 10 feet from anyone without a light up headset.
– There will not be a physical boundary around the dance area, a large grassy field.
– All bodies are welcome.
– Bring your own water.
– Avoid wearing strong scents.
– Do wear deodorant, and please take care of stinky feet before entering the dance space.
✶ In Person Outdoor with Silent Disco Dance Guidelines:
– Be mindful of non participating parkgoers. Please keep a safe distance of 10 feet from anyone without a light up headset. – Maintain 6 feet of distance between you and other dancers who are not part of your household or safety pod. – If you are OK with LESS than 6 FEET of distance between you and other dancers please wear a yellow fabric around your right wrist (Yellow wristbands will be available at check in).
– To invite a participant into a shared dance make eye contact and a gesture of open hands.
– To refuse an invitation make eye contact w/ your palms together at the chest as a sign of “no thank you,” or ignore the invitation.
– To finish a shared dance make eye contact w/ your palms together at the chest as a sign of “thank you, I am done,” or just dance away.
– Keep the intimacy found at Ecstatic Dance exclusive to the Ecstatic Dance container.
– Talking, cell phones, photography, and alcohol are left outside the dance space. Playfulness, curiosity, and a welcoming spirit are invited in. Ecstatic Dance is a practice of self expression, and non verbal communication.
Zoom Dances Online
✬ If you want to Share a Dance, ask only once by sending a private chat request. Once there is permission, pin each others screens to dance together.
✬ To finish a Shared Dance, offer a sign of palms together, and unpin.
✬ To pin or unpin a screen, click on the three dots at the upper right corner of an individual screen, in grid view of zoom.
✬ Chat Conversations, Video and Photo recording, and Alcohol are left outside the dance space. Playfulness, curiosity, and a welcoming spirit are invited in.
✬ Any movement expression is welcome.
✬ Sharing encouragement and excitement in the chat is welcome.
✬ If you would like a bigger and a more clear sound connect to an external speaker or sound system.
For In Person Dances
- The Dance floor is free of talking and verbal conversations. Making sounds and being vocal is welcomed as long as it is not continuous and disruptive to the space.
- Photography and Videography is only appropriate in the in the socializing areas. On the dance floor it is only allowed by permission, and only after it has been announced to the participants prior to the dance.
- To invite someone into a shared dance make eye contact with a gesture of open palms.
- To accept an invitation begin engaging and sharing in the dance.
- To clearly refuse an invitation place your hands in prayer position while keeping eye contact, as a sign of no thank you. Or simply do not engage.
- To end a shared dance place your hands in prayer position while keeping eye contact, as a sign of thank you I am done. Or simply dance away without any formal ending.
- Please refrain from wearing strong scents to make the dance floor more accessible for those with scent sensitivities. This also includes body oder.
- The dance floor is a barefoot space. You can wear indoor shoes or dance shoes if you need them for dancing.