The held container of Ecstatic Dance Chicago is able to facilitate deep dives into authentic and inspired expression. The required guidelines are the foundation to that container. They develop and nurture the awareness of personal expression, awareness of fellow dancers, and the awareness of the felt presence of the collective.
✶ Required Space Guidelines:
– Avoid wearing perfumes, colognes, scented oils, and other strong scents.
– Address body odor before entering the dance space. Deodorant will be available.
– Do not wear shoes, unless you need them to dance. (Indoor shoes please)
– Keep the dance space clear of belongings.
✶ Required Dance Guidelines:
– No verbal conversations, cell phone use, or video/photography on the dance floor.
– Give extra space to anyone wearing a Red Fabric. Clean Red Fabric will be available.
– Please get permission before involving others in your dance, physical touch, conversation, photos, or videos.
– While dancing…
a) To invite a participant into a shared dance, make eye contact and a gesture of open hands.
b) To invite a participant into a shared physical contact first follow instruction
a), then offer your forearm as an invitation for a place to contact, or ask verbally “can I touch you,” or “can we dance in contact?”
c) To refuse an invitation, make eye contact w/ your palms together at the chest as a sign of “no thank you,” or ignore the invitation.
d) To finish a shared dance, make eye contact w/ your palms together at the chest as a sign of “thank you, I am done,” or just dance away.
– Use your speaking voice when you need to offer/refuse/ask for consent, and to clarify personal boundaries.
– Vocal expression such singing, shouting, and vocalizing is welcome as long as it is not a continuous disruption to the dance space.
– Keep the intimacy found in shared dances exclusive to the specific exchange.
– Take responsibility for your actions and personal space.
– Share our guidelines with those that don’t know them.
– If you need support of any kind during the dance you can ask a Dance Guide (wearing green light or fabric wristband), or another participant for help. After the dance you can ask the Ecstatic Dance Chicago Council at EDClisten@gmail.com.
– And most important of all, have fun and let yourself shine!
✶ In Person Outdoor, and with Silent Disco, Space Guidelines:
– Having your Mouth and Nose Covered is Optional and can be done at any time.
– Please do not come if you are experiencing any symptoms of illness on the day of, or up to two weeks before the dance (tickets can be transferred or refunded). – There will not be a physical boundary around the dance area, a large grassy field.
– All bodies are welcome.
– Bring your own water.
– Avoid wearing strong scents.
– Do wear deodorant, and please take care of stinky feet before entering the dance space.
✶ In Person Outdoor with Silent Disco Dance Guidelines:
– Be mindful of non participating parkgoers. Please keep a safe distance of 10 feet from anyone non participants. – Please keep a distance of 6 feet from any participant wearing a red fabric (clean fabric will be available at the sign in space). – To invite a participant into a shared dance make eye contact and a gesture of open hands.
– To refuse an invitation make eye contact w/ your palms together at the chest as a sign of “no thank you,” or ignore the invitation.
– To finish a shared dance make eye contact w/ your palms together at the chest as a sign of “thank you, I am done,” or just dance away.
– Get verbal permission before acting on sexual arousal in shared dances and conversations. (Feeling your own sexual energy is ok at any time)
– Keep the intimacy found in a shared dance exclusive to that specific exchange. (Remember that it doesn’t transfer to that same person or group in a different container, space, or new exchange)
– Talking, cell phones, photography, and alcohol are left outside the dance space. Playfulness, curiosity, and a welcoming spirit are invited in. When we dance in public spaces, phone and camera use is permitted outside of the edges of the dance. – In a Public Park Space Photography, Phone Use, and Talking is Allowed on the outside perimeter of the dancing collective. (Not inside of the group)
Zoom Dances Online
✬ If you want to Share a Dance, ask only once by sending a private chat request. Once there is permission, pin each others screens to dance together.
✬ To finish a Shared Dance, offer a sign of palms together, and unpin.
✬ To pin or unpin a screen, click on the three dots at the upper right corner of an individual screen, in grid view of zoom.
✬ Chat Conversations, Video and Photo recording, and Alcohol are left outside the dance space. Playfulness, curiosity, and a welcoming spirit are invited in.
✬ Any movement expression is welcome.
✬ Sharing encouragement and excitement in the chat is welcome.
✬ If you would like a bigger and a more clear sound connect to an external speaker or sound system.